Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pendant Lights, Omer Arbel & Cool Canadian Lighting

I've been looking for pendant lights to hang over the bar area of my kitchen. At first I was thinking of doing something like the Cypree large pendant by LBL Lighting (shown at left). I was inspired by a project we did at Bohl Architects that was featured in Annapolis Home Magazine. You can see the pendant lights they chose hanging over the kitchen table on the last page of the article. The entire house is very cool and worth a look - you can see more photos here.











I also love the Capri 1 pendant by Jonathan Adler shown below.








But then I saw the 23.2 House designed by architect Omer Arbel (below) featured in Dwell Magazine. The house has a lot of innovative features (you can see more photos by clicking the link above), but I really loved the clusters of pendant lights grouped throughout the rooms.

Arbel designed these 28 Series pendant lights for his own Vancouver based company, Bocci Lighting. They are elegantly simple and eclectic all at the same time, but a little out of my price range at $460 apiece ($495 for the LED version - which I would definitely recommend if you are going to spring for these).


























He has a very cool smaller pendant also, the 14 Series pendant (shown at left), but it's still $320.















Anyway, after much web searching for a similar fixture I did manage to find an alternative - the Crescent Pendant by Alico Lighting (shown below) - another Canadian company. It has some of the same qualities that I love about Arbel's fixture - an undulating round outer glass shade with an inner opal shade that shields the light bulb - and the best thing is that it's $236. I'm not positively sold yet - I need 5 pendants - so I'll be doing some more searching in the next few days.


4 comments:

  1. Jessica, you may want to try West Elm. They used to sell similar pendants (at a lower price i think), which you can mount and wire yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are very nice and only $99! See http://giogiodesign.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-pendant-lights.html. Thanks for reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...Your post really got me thinking man..... an intelligent piece ,I must say. Get more information about Pendant lighting .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete