Thursday, March 31, 2011

Design Journal - Our First Renovation

The idea for the first renovation was to open up the interior and bring the living spaces together. Bedrooms had been added to allow a rental unit on each floor, and we wanted to bring the house back to its single family roots.

1st Floor Plan - Before

I removed a wall between the living and dining rooms, and added windows and glass doors to bring in the lovely wooded views. I moved the kitchen to the center of the house, so it could become part of the other living areas. I opened the foyer back up to the rest of the house to create a more formal entry, and I moved the pantry and bath areas adjacent to the side entrance.

This design is all about curves. I wanted the interior spaces to open up and flow inside the rectangular form of house. I wanted to subvert the rigidity of the typical house plan to create spaces that were visually interesting. And I tried to bring the idea of the curve into all of the details that I designed - from the bar top, to the archways, and even the shelves in the kitchen.

1st Floor Plan - After

No comments:

Post a Comment